Post by Janet. Photos by Ian Wrenford
The 2019 Paddle NSW Marathon Series has finished with splendid results for Sutherland Shire Canoe Club. At the end of the series, our club came 4th (out of 26 clubs) in the points score with 5436 points. Our goal was to reach 5000 points, so this result makes us proud.
The final round (and presentation) was hosted by HVPC at the Newcastle suburb of Teralba, with racing on Cockle Creek. It is a long drive to Teralba from the Sutherland area. John, Gareth, Lachie and Adrian took a road trip with an esky full of post-race beers and towed the club trailer. The trailer was to come in handy for bringing home our club’s haul of trophies. The results also prove the boys stayed focussed on the race rather than the beers.
101 paddlers lined up on a warm day with a winds of up to 40kph and shallow water. Teralba is a good venue for spectators with seats and a grassy bank along the final straight of the course. I sat near the finish line to watch the action and take photos. I noticed John and Mark M working together in Division 4, which is always a tough and challenging Division. I was full of admiration for Jenny and Kim, paddling 20km in their double canoe. It didn’t look easy. Lachie put his wash riding skills into practice and motored into second place with ease. Gareth’s K1 gave him an advantage in the shallow water. Bruce and Lis paddled 15kms in the double ski – their longest distance race this year.
Our club did incredibly well in the race. Check out all the podium places below!
– Div 3 – Gareth Stokes 1st
– Div 4 – John Denyer 2nd, Mark Moro 3rd
– Div 6 – Adrian Di Cesare 1st
– Div 7 – Jenny and Kim 2nd
– Div 8 – Lis and Bruce 7th
– Div 10 – Lachlan Stokes 2nd
Congratulations everyone! All the results can be viewed here – https://www.webscorer.com/race?raceid=192095
The awards kept on coming at the Presentation and dinner. The road trip boys stayed on and enjoyed the beers, awards and good company of fellow marathon paddling nuts.
SSCC’s overall results and awards for the 2019 season
– Highest point scorer U18 male – Lachlan Stokes
– 3rd in Division 10 – Lachlan Stokes
– Completed all 10 races in the series – Lachlan stokes
– 2nd in Div 3 – Gareth Stokes
– 1st in Div 4 – John Denyer
– 2nd in Div 5 – Andrew Giardini
– 2019 Marathon Series Encouragement Award – Lis O’Farrell
– 2019 Marathon Series Most Improved – Rafferty Sheather – (improved time by 15% over the season)
– 2019 Marathon Series Most Improved – Louise Vandergraaf
Lachie swept away with the most awards for the club and an Ipad cover from the giveaways!
Well done SSCC! 2019 was another excellent series of marathon racing and the dates for the 2020 series have already been announced. Get those dates reserved in your 2020 calendar and think about participating. The marathon crowd are a friendly bunch and very encouraging. You also get to hang out with your mates from SSCC at these events.
Janet Small (with help from John Denyer)